We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer:
We’re looking for someone is who passionate about building a user-centered product that helps kids build critical thinking in a growing education technology start-up. The Senior will have overall ownership of the technology roadmap and the performance of multiple engineering teams. He/she will focus on growing team and individual performance through an agile development process and effective communication among stakeholders.
Why you want to jump on the ThinkCERCA train:
ThinkCERCA is a Chicago-based company passionately committed to improving the quality of K-12 education. Built by educators, our online platform is designed to empower teachers in personalizing literacy instruction across disciplines. The ThinkCERCA Framework provides a common language for students, teachers, parents, and administrators to drive sustainable growth in student achievement. Our work has a demonstrated impact: The results of third party studies show that schools that use ThinkCERCA see significant growth in their students’ literacy and critical thinking skills.
ThinkCERCA is a top winner of the Gates Foundation Literacy Courseware Grant, and was mentioned by Bill Gates himself at this year’s ASU GSV Summit. Just three years into implementing our platform in classrooms, we are already being used in major school districts across 32 states and we are poised for tremendous growth.
If you were working for us, here are some of the things you might have done last month:
- Wrote clean, well-tested, reusable code to ship a new feature that helps students develop critical thinking skills
- Collaborated with your dev Team Lead on managing a sprint releases
- Engaged in technical design, documentation & code reviews
- Pitched a PM a new way to help solve a business problem with functionality and automation
- Collaborated with stakeholders like research, design, PM, QA, on approach to meeting product requirements
- Researched solutions on how to best maintain existing application platforms, and advocated for opportunities to improve them
- Served as a tech stakeholder on a “in the wild” research project to understand how students are using our product
- Worked with other developers through paired programming and de-constructing user stories to build capacity for tech approach
Here are some other things we are looking for:
- Strong computer science fundamentals - you’re an expert, in multiple technologies with overlap with our tech stack (Ruby, ReactJS, Angular, Backbone, or Ember and calling RESTful API’s)
- Deep architectural knowledge of client application layers and design patterns
- Fluency in modern API design, preferred fluency in cloud-native architecture
- Experience in enterprise integrations
- Excellent communication skills - you can effectively work with engineers but at the same time collaborate with product managers and salespeople.
- Care about building a strong tech culture that values culture of growth, learning, ownership/accountability, delivery, diversity and inclusion, and camaraderie, and aligned with our ThinkCERCA values.
Chicago (strongly preferred)
- Introduction phone call
- Interview with Team Lead
- Group rounds of cross-functional team members: Design, PM, Data, Tech Advisor
- Performance-based task presented to other Devs