We’re looking for a Director of Software Engineering:
We’re looking for someone is who passionate about building a user-centered product that helps kids build critical thinking in a growing education technology start-up. The Director of Engineering will have overall ownership of the technology roadmap and the performance of multiple engineering teams. He/she will focus on growing team and individual performance through an agile development process and effective communication among stakeholders.
Why you want to jump on the ThinkCERCA train:
ThinkCERCA is a Chicago-based company passionately committed to improving the quality of K-12 education. Built by educators, our online platform is designed to empower teachers in personalizing literacy instruction across disciplines. The ThinkCERCA Framework provides a common language for students, teachers, parents, and administrators to drive sustainable growth in student achievement. Our work has a demonstrated impact: The results of third party studies show that schools that use ThinkCERCA see significant growth in their students’ literacy and critical thinking skills.
ThinkCERCA is a top winner of the Gates Foundation Literacy Courseware Grant, and was mentioned by Bill Gates himself at this year’s ASU GSV Summit. Just three years into implementing our platform in classrooms, we are already being used in major school districts across 32 states and we are poised for tremendous growth.
If you were working for us, here are some of the things you might have done last month:
- Presented at a all-hands team meeting our Technology roadmap, priorities, and approach
- Built technical architecture documents to help team understand why, how, who
- Epic/sprint planning alongside our PM
- Served as a tech stakeholder on a “in the wild” research project to understand how students are using our product
- Coached dev through paired programming and de-constructing user stories to build capacity for tech approach
- Wrote some technical user stories alongside our PM to ensure
- Code reviews and coordinated the release with our VP Product
- Recruited and interviewed a new team member
- Evaluated integration partners for future epic planning
Here are some other things we are looking for:
- A strong mix of both management and technical skills—you will still be driving architecture discussions, reviewing code, mentoring engineers, etc.
- Experience across a variety of technology architectures:
- Deep architectural knowledge of client application layers and design patterns
- Fluency in modern API design, preferred fluency in cloud-native architecture
- Enterprise integrations
- Excellent communication skills - you can effectively work with engineers but at the same time collaborate with product managers and salespeople.
- Strong computer science fundamentals - you’re an expert, in multiple technologies with overlap with our tech stack (Ruby, ReactJS, Angular, Backbone, or Ember and calling RESTful API’s)
- Care about building a strong tech culture that values culture of growth, learning, ownership/accountability, delivery, diversity and inclusion, and camaraderie, and aligned with our ThinkCERCA values.
Location Preferences: Chicago (strongly preferred)
- Introduction call with VP Product
- Rounds of Team Interviews - Design, PM, Developers, Tech Advisor
- Performance-based task
- Final round with CPO, COO, and/or CEO